"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Love endures all things (1 Corinthians 13)

Yesterday was Valentine’s Day and I am always surprised by our heavenly Father’s way of communicating to us at just the right time. Here is just a little sample of His gracious hand in our lives these past two day.

I send out a daily Proverb out via text to over a hundred folks. This was started by my dear friend Tom about 2-3 years ago, who after I just finished asking the Lord for more wisdom and for an opportunity to look at a Proverb a day… I get this text from Tom who got a text from another gentleman – it was a Proverb. And each day after that, a Proverb came by text to my phone. So I continue that sending of a Proverb a day to various people who have unlimited minutes and care to receive a Proverb a day. Here was the Proverb that I just opened to (randomly, but by His design) on this Valentine’s day – Proverbs 3:3 - Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart. (ESV).

How sweet is that on a day that we are remembering our loved ones. Let’s remember foremost our Lord Jesus who loved us way before we ever loved Him and had demonstrated His steadfast Love and Faithfulness throughout all time.

Two days ago, Eli, a student in one of my classes raised his hand during a ten minute time period that I give to the students each day to spend with the Lord in His word. I approached him and he said that he had noticed for the first time in Scripture that 7 evil spirits possessed Mary Magdalene before she came to Christ. Then he said, “Is that possible Mr. Redding – 7 evil spirits?” I said, the Bible says it, so we can believe it, although we may not be able to fully explain it at this time. Little did Eli know, that just after his devotion time with the Lord, he as well as the rest of the classes would be studying Mark 5. The passage starts out with Jesus coming to shore and a man possessed by not just one demon, or 7 demons, but by a “Legion” of demons comes running to Jesus. And then we found out how many make up a Legion – 6000. Wow, now that is what the Bible says, and though we may not fully understand it, we can trust that is what took place and that Jesus had power over not just one, not just 7 but over 6000. Jesus said in Mat. 28 – “All authority” has been given unto Him.

I could tell you of every day how the word of God has just what we need for the day, but neither time nor space permit and you could fill up pages too of how His word has just what you need for the day.

Let’s take a moment today to thank Him for His enduring love. As I drove to work yesterday morning with my sweetheart, Lynda, I was thanking Him and reminded of not only His enduring love, but also her enduring love. When she said almost 28 years ago in our marriage vows, “For better or worst” – little did she know how much is in between that “Better” and “Worst”. But I am so thankful that she, as my wife and love of my life here on earth, pictures to me the steadfast Love of our Lord Jesus every day. So let’s take time to thank those who, here on earth, display the same kind of Love that Jesus has for us forever.

By the way, thank you for your love that you have shown to Lynda and I through out our years. We give the Lord thanks for your enduring love. He always brings just the right word for us today and the right folks for us this day. We are so grateful…

No comments:

Post a Comment