"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Saturated in Trusting God

Romans 4:19 … he did not consider his own body…

I love this small passage from Romans 4 – let me give the contexts: Paul was teaching the Roman Church about the righteousness that comes about through faith and he was using an earthly illustration to demonstrate what that looks like. He was basically saying that Abraham was picture of someone who pleased God (just think about that for minute – pleasing God) by simple faith.
“And not being weak in faith, he did not consider his own body, already dead (since he was about a hundred years old), and the deadness of Sarah’s womb. He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory (honor) to God, being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform.

This is how the Lord wants us to live life daily. “Take no thought of your life, what you will eat; nor about your body, what you will put on …. And which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?” (Luke 12:23, 25) A life saturated in trusting God is so fun to live because all the work is His and we get to enjoy watching Him do that which only He can do.

We are tempted at times to take our faith filled eyes off of Jesus (who is the author and completer of our faith) and to place them on our circumstances or on our abilities or even inabilities. In times of waiting (as Abraham waited 25 years) we are tested and the faith that He has placed in our hearts becomes more and more grounded. It is not anymore, “can He do something”, but more of “when He will do something.”

I have a dear friend (another brother, David) who has been given great faith from our Lord. He has been waiting, “not considering his own body”, for almost a year with a broken toe that has kept him from work. He has confidence in the Lord’s time, things will work out – “But it is His time and waiting on Him is worth it.” I love the picture of faith that David paints for me as I watch him from a distance (he is on the other side of the United States). The Lord has not given me that kind of faith yet. I had cancer and now I don’t. David has had a broken toe and he still has a broken toe. His faith continues to be fortified as He waits on the Lord.

Thank you David for teaching me to wait on the Lord. Thank you for teaching me not to be concerned about myself with my situation. You are living example, my brother, of an individual saturated in trusting God.

No comments:

Post a Comment