"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Friday, October 28, 2011

A gift from God

When I heard that I have cancer, my mind immediately rushed to the throne of God to say, “Thank you Lord, for where we are here on earth is not our eternal dwelling place. We have this temporary moment to make your eternal and great Name known. This was gift from God.

I was talking to godly and encouraging friend (Mike) a few days later about being thankful for this “gift” from the Lord. And he said, with a twinkle in eye, “And we are saying to the Lord that ‘we will be just as thankful to You for taking this gift back.’”

We laughed with this very truth in mind. But as I thought on these things later in the evening by myself, I said to the Lord, “Is there scripture that speaks to these things.”

Early the next morning when a awoke, this verse came to mind – “The Lord gives and the Lord takes away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.” And then I started to think of all the many things that the Lord has given to us that we turn around and hand back to Him. He gives us life and we give it back. He gives us a spouse and we give the spouse back. He give us children and we give them back. He gives us material possessions and we give them back. The list has no end.

So if He chooses to give me cancer than He can choose to let me give it back. In any circumstance, He is teaching me to be content and to be filled to overflowing with thanksgiving. (Phil. 4:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment