"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Open doors that no man will shut and closed doors no man will open.

I have a brother in law (Grady) who I must say God has blessed with so much wisdom beyond his years. His council is steadfast and resolved. And this was the case when he learned that I had cancer.

The day after I found out that I had cancer, Grady was saying to me, “We are going to get you into the best doctor at Sloan – Ketterin.” I have never heard of this place and how was he going to get me to a place that does not even know my name.
I mentioned to my Doctor (Samuel) that my brother-in-law was working on getting me into this hospital and my doctor with a Christ-like humility said, “I respect them and that would be good. Just make sure you go as quick as possible.” (All along the way we have seen these gifted Doctors display such humility and honor – they are preaching a great sermon to us in their manners.)

1-2 days pass and Grady calls me in the evening to say that he was still working with another Doctor in TN who knows this Doctor in NY and it may take a little more time.

That evening I laid my head down with the thoughts, “go as quick as you can.” And in the middle of the night was awaken to this scripture – (paraphrased) “I open doors that no man can shut. And I close doors that no man can open.” And I said, “Thank you Lord, Yes you alone are going to continue to do this throughout all history. I also know that you welcome us to ask for wisdom (James 1:5). So I ask that you would give my faithful brother-in-law wisdom. Wisdom to know if you have opened a door that will not be shut and we just need to keep pressing on. Or give wisdom to know that you have closed a door that will not be opened and we do not want to waist any time on that.

Well before school started that morning, Grady called me from TN and said, “We have a Doctor in Sloan-Kettering…” The door was still wide open and I thanked God for again giving my dear brother-in-law, wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment