"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Friday, November 4, 2011

Discipline not to be taken lightly

Early this morning, a NT passage of scripture came together with a Proverb that I sent out two days ago. I heard Hebrews 12:5-6 (which is also found in Prov. 3:11-12) in this way – “…do not take lightly the Lord’s discipline…” When I looked it up later this morning it literally reads – “… do not despise the LORD’s discipline (chastening)” The other verse that came to mind was Pro. 13:18 –“He who ignores discipline comes to poverty and shame, but whoever heeds correction is honored.” (NKJV)

So as I was contemplating these two passages I began to think of the OT and NT stories that speaks of God’s discipline and His discipline in my own life. As His people experience loving discipline from His hand they too respond initially and throughout the discipline in various ways.

The end of discipline is this – Hebrews 12:10b - “…but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness.” And then I am reminded of another passage in the scripture (both OT and NT) where God says – “Be holy as I am holy.” That is beyond my comprehension that the Lord would bid us and in some way see us to the end of being Holy as He is.

So in the early morning I cried out to the Lord and acknowledged my sin and falling short in even my response to His correction or even giving anyone a false perception of His discipline in my life. In my time of confession to the Lord, Jesus reminded me once again, that even in the Father’s discipline He is with us who have called on His name. For, He was wounded for our transgressions and was bruised for our iniquities (see Is. 53 again for this reminder).

Oh what a Savior we do indeed have and He is not only saving those who call on His name for the first time in their brief life but continues to save those, like me and you, who are crying out today.

No comments:

Post a Comment