"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Perishing and Renewed

2 Cor. 4:16 - Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. (NKJV)
We were blessed last evening by a dear couple in our lives (Steve & Cristy) who had Lynda and me over for dinner and fellowship. During the course of our fellowship, Steve asked, “How can we pray for you at this time?” Wow, to think that two people would go to the Creator and Sustainer of the universe on our behalf! Well be better come up with a good request.

Lynda and I shared a few things that has been on our hearts and in the course of sharing, I was reminded that the way I am seeing things is from a whole different view point than my wife, and we need wisdom from the Lord (James 1:5)

So that thought took me back to the faithful old 1985 Chevy Cavalier that was given to us by Grady and Kathy years ago (and we drove it from about 1998-2003). I used that old car to get me from point A-B and was very satisfied with that old car. I could literally park it in the grocery store parking lot, leave the keys in it, windows down, engine running, and go and shop for awhile and it would still be there when I came out (I am embellishing the story of course). But I had no worries with that old car. If I parked it anywhere, the cars that would park beside it usually parked as far away from that dented up Chevy realizing that it did not get that way by itself.

(I am going somewhere with this). One day, after it had the windshield replaced, my daughter (Bethany) and I washed the car inside and out and after we had it as clean as possible, we got in to go for a drive. As we looked out through that new windshield, we felt like we were in a brand new car. As we drove by others though who looked at that old vehicle, some probably wondered how far that old car was going to keep going.

That is just like Lynda’s and my situation with me having an aneurysm and cancer. I am looking out from the windows of my soul, feeling renewed in the inner man by the Lord and His faithful people and Lynda looks at this outward body that is on the road to perishing (unless the Lord comes back for us all before.)

So when folks ask us how they should pray for us, it is really necessary to get both of our view points because 2 Cor. 4:16 so much applies to us (and to anyone if you think about it.)

Thank you Steve and Cristy (and they are two who represent the dear Body of Christ – local and aboard- in our lives who have been so faithful to go to the Lord on our behalf) for asking us; “How can we pray for you both?” May Lynda and I ask you who are reading this the same question? How can we as a couple pray for you? We love you much and thank the Lord for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment