"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Monday, November 21, 2011

His Church continues to Preach to and Teach us.

Lynda and I were able to get up in the morning and head to lower Manhattan. From there, we walked across the Brooklyn Bridge and then proceed to the Brooklyn Tabernacle. For years (since the early 1990’s – I know, you students of mine think of the 90’s as I would think of the 60’s) this dear church has ministered to our hearts through song, prayer and books. Pastor Jim Cymbala has written a number of books that have encouraged me in my walk with Jesus and the need to pray a fervently as I read our Lord’s precious word. The Choir has encouraged me to sing with not just a joyful noise but with an abandoned heart to the Lord. The testimonies from the people in that church have encouraged me to praise God the Father for the continued work that He is doing through His Mighty Holy Spirit and Risen Son of God. The prayer band has encouraged me to pray not just by myself, but also to enlist the saints around me to come together to cry out to our great God and Savior. He works out His will here on earth through His people who call on His name.

Yesterday they encouraged Lynda and me again. The music, testimonies, preaching and teaching, and prayer was what we expected to see and experience. But they continued to encourage us all through the day and into the evening’s setting sun (reminding us again of the difference the LORD Jesus has made in the world today). Men and women, wherever we went in that multi-story building, would stop and pray over and for us. One pastor (Pastor Hammond), when hearing that I was in the city for cancer surgery said, “Wait right here.” Then proceeded to the side of the front stage, reached behind it, pulled out a bottle of virgin olive oil, came back to me, anointed my forehead with oil and prayed for me and my wife in obedience to James 5.

Another dear servant of our Lord Jesus Christ, (Lance, who I mistakenly thought was Tony who I met 6-7 years ago) pulled Lynda and I aside, held our hands and embraced us in prayer, calling upon the mighty Lord Jesus to look upon us and consider our situation as well as drive out all cancer from my body. He was so thoughtful too in considering Lynda’s state as my wife and partner in suffering. Throughout the day, (Ron, Rene, Mrs. Armstrong, Isaac, Lenard, and some other dear ladies) others would immediately place their hands on us or clasped our hands and pray when hearing why we were visiting NY. This is the body of Christ in action and demonstrating our Lord and Savior who we firmly believe in and trust.

So from AZ – NY we have witnessed this consistently – His body, so well bearing His image and doing as He would bid them to do. What a powerful message the Church of Christ, His bride who He purchased with His own precious blood, is preaching to and teaching us wherever we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment