"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5-6)

Sunday, November 27, 2011

My Eternal King

Here is a song that I learned in college when singing with the Singing Men of Temple lead by Mrs. Fred Brown. We sang it during her memorial service and the song just ran very deep in this soul of mine.
My Eternal King

My God, I love thee, not because
I hope for heaven thereby,
nor yet because who love Thee not,
may eternally die.

Thou, O my Jesus, thou didst me
upon the cross embrace;
for me didst bear the nails and spear
and manifold disgrace.

And griefs and torments numberless,

And sweat of agony;
 E’en death itself;
and all for man
 Who was Thine enemy.

Then why, O blessed Jesus Christ,
should I not love thee well?
Not for the hope of winning heaven,
nor of escaping hell.

Not with the hope of gaining aught,
not seeking a reward,
but as thyself hast loved me,
O everlasting Lord.

So would I love thee, and will love,
and in thy praise will sing;
Surely because thou art my God
and my eternal King.
1 John 4:10
In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment